Skip to main content

Joe Madureira and Zeb Wells on Savage Wolverine

It's finally official! Joe Madureira and Zeb Wells will be working on the Marvel Now! book Savage Wolverine starting with issue #6 this June.



Over at Comic Book Resources they have an exclusive interview with the team.
CBR News: People have been asking about the work you guys are doing together for some time, so I thought I'd start off with a question about the evolution of this project. Was this story originally envisioned as an arc of "Avenging Spider-Man?" And if so, has the story changed significantly since becoming a "Savage Wolverine" story?

Zeb Wells: Yeah, we originally planned it for "Avenging Spidey," but with the massively talented Chris Yost coming onto that book and the lead character changing to "Superior Spider-Man," it didn’t fit quite as well.

The story was leaning more towards Wolverine and Elektra anyway, so with that in mind -- along with Joe needing to wrap up some work at his company and me getting consumed with my "work" on "Robot Chicken" -- editor Steve Wacker made the brilliant (Steve's words) decision to move it to the new "Savage Wolverine" book.

Luckily (read: because I was so late) we had the story generally outlined but not scripted, so I was able to turn it into a Wolverine story from the ground up. It's not going to read like a Spider-Man story that stars Wolverine.

Zeb, you've written Wolverine before, but it's typically been as a guest star in another character's book. What's it like writing him in his own series?

Wells: Wolverine is such a great character to write as a guest star, because he's a polarizing hero and you learn a lot about the protagonist by how she/he relates to a killer in a costume. It was an unexpected but delightful challenge to write the story from his point of view. To actually get inside his head and see what makes him tick.

The most intriguing thing about him is the idea that he's a hero who wants to do good, but he has this feral side that takes control when he gets too riled up. At that point, he loses control and has to sit back and watch himself kill things, even though it will torture him later. I think everyone has a side to themselves that they can't control. For me, it's the side that's too terrified of failure to sit down and start writing and would rather hide on the couch for hours at a time. My side isn't as sexy and interesting as Wolverine's side.

Joe, what's it like returning to Wolverine? When was the last time you drew the character in a full story?

Joe Madureira: God, I honestly can't remember the last full Wolverine story I drew -- I'm too afraid to think about how long ago "Uncanny X-Men" was -- though he's appeared as a guest in various books I've done, such as "Ultimates 3." Wolverine is up there with Spidey and Hulk as a character I just absolutely love to draw. I have a lot of fun with this more feral side.

How new reader friendly is your "Savage Wolverine" story? Is it tied toor does it pick up the aftermath from Frank Cho's previous story?

Madureira: It's nicely self contained! You can jump right on in. There's Wolverine, Elektra and lots and lots of Hand ninjas! What else do you need to know?!!!

Wells: Yeah the nature of it's evolution makes it self-contained. I would have loved to have tied into Cho's story, though -- I'm really enjoying it.

[Our story is] about Wolverine's dichotomy, and how it allows him to run with both the Avengers and a stone cold killer like Elektra. We get a sense of the toll this takes on him, playing hero on one team while knowing he's capable of great violence himself.

Your last collaboration in was essentially a pulp fantasy story with underground barbarians and giant monsters. How would you describe your "Savage Wolverine" story?

Madureira: This feels like a pretty classic Wolverine story. For some reason, despite the decades worth of Wolverine stories that have been done, there are only two versions of Wolverine that resonate or sort of define the character for me. One is the feral naked guy in the woods hunting deer and surviving on his animal instincts; the other is fighting ninja in Japan alongside Mariko. I think it's because these were the stories I was reading at the height of my comic obsession, and I was thrilled that this story took me back to those days. There's an awesome bit of nostalgia that hits me when I draw Wolverine slicing through a ninja. Is that crazy?

Wells: It's funny, but I really wanted to do right by Joe in the "Avenging Spider-Man" arc, so I tailored the story to things I thought he'd like to draw. But as I got his pages, it became clear that Joe can draw anything. he isn't just a bad-ass artist, which is undeniable, he's also one of the best visual storytellers in the field. Bar none. So this time around I focused on making the story as complex as I could, and just trusted Joe to MAD! it up. And MAD! it up, he did. I couldn't be happier with the results.



Elektra is a pretty important character in this story. Joe, have you drawn her before, and what's it like drawing her for this story?

Madureira: No! I've actually never gotten the chance to draw Elektra before! She's another one of those characters that I was obsessed with back in the day.

She's pretty challenging to draw, actually, because I'm determined not to make her just some hot chick. That's not what she's about. She's a chiseled, muscular killing machine whose entire body is a weapon, expressionless and cold. It's challenging getting that all across while still having her be "attractive," but I'm trying!

What can you tell us about the story's antagonists?

Wells: When you're working with Joe, you've just got to create some new characters. His design sense is so strong, you'd be crazy to waste it. One of the things Joe, Steve and I talked about was keeping the Hand from reading as an anonymous ninja organization, so the main antagonists are the Hand, but we try to add to the mythology. In doing so, we created some Hand characters with distinct personalities and characteristics. I'm insanely excited for people to see what Joe did with them.

Joe, what can you tell us about the overall look of the story? How does it compare to your recent work on "Avenging Spider-Man?"

Madureira: I think it's slightly darker and a little grittier. Spidey was big and fun! This is a more intimate story, definitely a little more grisly. Wolvie isn't restrained when he's with Elektra, so it's been great fun killing characters left and right. Something Spidey would never condone!

Finally, you guys have obviously been living with this story for a while. How does it feel to finally have the project only a few months away from fans being able to read it?

Madureira: The anticipation is killing me! I don't draw too many comics these days, so when they do hit, I'm always anxious for people to see the work, get their reactions etc. I really had a blast on this story.

It was a great honor to work on this book with Zeb. I think he writes a fantastic Wolverine -- it just hits all the right notes. Personally, it fulfills a couple items on my artist bucket list. I'm proud of this one!

Wells: I'm really proud of this thing too and think people are going to love it. Take it from someone who's seen it -- it's worth picking up!


← Next Previous →

Comments

Steven Preston said…
Looks good! Nice to see Joe back doing comics.
Mario Alba said…
This is going to be amazing.

Popular posts from this blog

Ruined King: A League of Legends Story Concept Art Directed by Joe Madureira

With 'Ruined King: A League of Legends Story' now released, there has been a large amount of artwork dropped online featuring concepts for characters, items, and worlds from the game. Joe Madureira being the Art/Creative Director for Airship Syndicate definitely shows in these designers/illustrators work. For the FULL collection of art and concepts check out this Artstation blog post with links to all the creators . Here's a selection of work below. Philip Karlov Hicham Habchi

50th Anniversary of the X-Men

Marvel is releasing a poster to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the X-Men. Joe Madureira's art is featured at the bottom. It's repurposed artwork but it's a cool poster none the less.

NYCC Battle Chasers Sketches

Joe Madureira has finished his two new Battle Chasers sketches for the New York Comic Con. They'll be 11x17 prints available in Artists Alley table L2. Signing times are 10:30am-12:00pm and 3:00pm-4:30pm Friday-Sunday during the New York Comic Con. Joe also answered a few questions about the prints. 1) Yes, Monika's boobs have gotten a little smaller (!) 2) Poor Garrison was going to be featured in his own print, but I didn't have time, and he ruined the composition of the team shot. So--I promise I'll do one of him for the next show. I didn't forget him! 3) I will look into some sort of online store where you can buy stuff without going to a convention. 4) These two particular prints are grayscale and resemble penciled line art on an 11x17 bristol board. Ie. It looks like pencils. I will have 3 other full color prints available that some of you may have seen at SDCC. 5) Yes, I do hope to get back to Battle Chasers someday. I do still love these characters, whi